Tuesday, December 12, 2017

A little sewing............

I finished sewing the 2 sections I showed laid out on my post yesterday and added them to the 2 halves and then sewed it all together.  It came out close to the 36" in length that I wanted.  Now I have to get out the Christmas fabric box and find a backing and binding.  I sewed a little more on the half hexagon top too but forgot to take a photo.
I decided to set my pale pink and my very pale pink cactus plants next to each other.  They have more blooms this year than they have had for several years.  They must have had just the right amount of darkness when they needed it for setting buds.  I also have a medium pink one that is loaded with buds but not blooming yet.
Here is the bloom on the little windowsill cactus in water.  I must get it planted.  It doesn't grow much in water and should do better in soil.

Monday, December 11, 2017

Sewing for me for Christmas...............

I gave my last two Christmas table toppers to two grandchildren who are spending their first Christmas in their own houses.  I knew I had a box of 2" squares cut from all of my Christmas fabrics about 20 years ago.  In fact one of the table toppers was made of them.
I'm just doing a random layout of them, no special order.  I don't have as many lights so I couldn't do a red, green, light alternating pattern.





I'm building two halves of the table runner with an almost identical layout.  I have to have an even number of rows in each half to have my seams going in opposite directions when I join them.








I have laid out two more sets of 4 rows to add on today.  I think that will give me a runner 36" long and about 14" wide.

Sunday, December 10, 2017

Starting another one..........

My two friends came over to sew on Friday and while they were here I put all of the half hexagons up on the design wall.  I took down the vertical columns and numbered them because I needed that design wall to photograph the finished quilt that I showed yesterday.  I brought the numbered piles upstairs and got the first 6 columns sewn while watching TV the last two nights.  I will only work on this when watching TV so it probably won't be finished until mid week.  The fabrics are Kaffe, Philip, Brandon and Martha, all Westminster prints.  This will be about 79" in length after the points are trimmed off.

JustGail....why don't you share your email address with me...you have lots of questions in your comments that I would love to answer personally to you.  I have an email link on my right sidebar and another on my profile page.

Saturday, December 9, 2017

Finish # 21 for 2017......

I finished the binding on this wonky 2 rail fence quilt last night.  It is  63.75" x 79".  

Here is the post where I was just starting this quilt and the book that has the instructions.




I bought this backing fabric on sale earlier this year with nothing in mind for it.  When I started looking for the back for this quilt I knew it was a good fit.







This is one of my favorite cactus plants with light pink flowers.  It is the plant that I accidentally broke a big piece off in the dark one night.  The piece I broke off is rooting in a glass on my kitchen windowsill and is the one that has 3 buds.



You can see the shade of pink better in this photo.

Friday, December 8, 2017

almost 3 sides done...........

I know this photo doesn't look much different from the one on yesterday's post but I have almost 3 sides hand sewn now.  I have about 10" left on the second long side so that  means I only have one short side to go today.  I also played with fabric and moved out of season clothing yesterday but nothing photo worthy there.

Thursday, December 7, 2017

Quilting finished...........

I finished the ditch quilting late yesterday afternoon and then it was time to pull out the basting thread and trim the excess backing and batting.










I was looking for more of the black background Y2K fabric but couldn't find any so I used the other black print that is in the blocks.  It is in the "comma" line from Moda from a few years ago.


The binding looks good with both the front and the back.  I only got about 2/3 of one long side hand stitched last night.  This will take me a couple days to finish.









My indoor garden is doing well.  They didn't get to go outside for the summer so I wasn't sure how many blooms I would get.  They like to be in the dark a lot to form buds and mine are in the living room which rarely has a light on unless I have company.  This is my palest pink plant.
I rarely have this many blooms at once on my plants.













I had this plant marked as white but this year the blooms have a pale pink cast to them.







I have one champagne colored bloom so far.  With 20 Christmas cactus plants I usually have something blooming all winter.

Wednesday, December 6, 2017

Quilting another.................

I hand basted this quilt in August and it has hung over a rail on my longarm frame ever since.  I decided it was time to start the ditch quilting with my walking foot on the Babylock straight stitch machine.


I started in the corners where the shortest rows are.  There are 15 diagonal stair step rows to quilt starting on the narrow direction of the quilt.  I completed the 15 rows on one end and then started on the other end and got 10 rows done.  This leaves about 12 or more of the longest rows diagonally across the quilt to finish it.
I'm using a medium shade of taupe So Fine thread on top and it blends in really well no matter what the color of fabric it is on.  I love the fabrics in this quilt.  The black and beige fabric in the top right is one of the Y2K fabrics available as we approached the year 2000.